Last week the ENL UTC opened its doors to the start of another school year, and what a first week back it was! Not only did we welcome our first ever year 9 cohort but we had a week jam-packed full of visits and employer-shaped activities.
Starting the term on Tuesday 3rd September, we welcomed our year 9 and 12 students for an enrolment day, where they were officially introduced to all staff members and had a general run through of what to expect throughout the academic year.From there our year 9 students were asked to complete a series of baseline assessments to help understand their starting points with us, whilst year 12 students were introduced to their upcoming units through interactive assignments and research tasks.
On Wednesday 4th September, we held our first ever Raising Aspirations Day, where a total of 12 external organisations supported our students through a variety of talks and activities.
Hosting a careers fair in our main hall, provided each year group with the opportunity to discuss future opportunities with a variety of industry experts including: Tronox, ABP Humber, University of Hull, Orsted, Phillips 66, National College of High Speed Rail, National Grid and the Royal Navy. Each student was tasked with discovering various details about each industry partner as part of their research and introduction into employer-lead projects.
Alongside of the careers fair, our students were also able to experience sessions with ABP Humber, Young Enterprise, University of Hull, Orsted and an activity and talk with former The Apprentice star, Adam Corbally!
Feedback from students showed just how enjoyable the day was with words such as informative, enlightening, great, fun, exciting, interesting and fascinating being used! The National College for High Speed Rail commented
“It was definitely one of the best career fairs I have attended. It was organised and the behaviour of the students was excellent!”
On Thursday 5th September, the fun continued as we saw 220 students visiting five different locations where they developed vital skills and industry knowledge. The trips included:
- A visit to the Science and Industry Museum in Manchester, where our year 9 students discovered the incredible science behind the Sun through a walkthrough exhibition
- Elsham Hall Activity Centre, where our year 10’s took part in a multitude of team building activities that included Total Knockout! Both our students and staff members had a brilliant day
- A visit to Jaguar Landrover at both their Birmingham and Solihull sites, with our year 11 students. They were able to take part in a team building activity and a guided tour of the car factory and manufacturing process
- Visits to Amazon Distribution Centre and Stylex, where our year 12 and 13 students were able to relate the industries to their engineering curriculum and unit
All of the trips are a vital part of the ENL UTC’s curriculum as it ensures that our students’ learning is applied to real industry and company processes. By connecting education to industry it ensures that our students are supplied with all of the qualifications, knowledge, experiences and confidence needed to achieve their dream career.
On Friday 6th September students were presented with ‘Our Way’, to introduce our Professional, Responsible and Loyal standards. Showcasing from the start that relationships are at the heart of everything we do develops clear boundaries and routines for both students and staff members. Our behaviours, values and principles are shared with our industry partners to best prepare students for their future careers.
We have had a fantastic and fun-filled start to the academic year and we are so proud of all of our students, both new and existing, for their positive attitude and hard work so far, but it doesn’t stop there. Over the upcoming weeks we have a multitude of activities planned including:
- Our year 12 students taking part in the NCS programme
- An Intro to Space for our year 10 students, hosted by year 13 student Shanen
- The National Apprenticeship Show
- Foundations Live
and much more!
If you you would like to speak with a member of our team please follow the button below. Or, if you are interested in finding out more about life at the ENL UTC register for our upcoming Open Event on Thursday 26th September. The perfect opportunity to meet with existing students, staff members and a wide variety of industry partners to discover your passion for STEM.
Bring on the rest of the year!