Welcoming Year 7 Consultation
Engineering UTC Northern Lincolnshire is proposing a change in admissions to allow year 7 students to join our community from September 2020.
The proposal is not only the response to the growing need for additional secondary places in North Lincolnshire, but also the increased demand for places at our UTC.
The last 18 months have really set this UTC on a very positive trajectory. We have had a very positive Ofsted inspection, launched a pioneering Engineering Scholarship Programme and have celebrated record results. As such, we are the fastest growing UTC in any town in the country.
This has meant that more and more families are looking to send their child to be educated at ENLUTC. This became particularly apparent during our recent consultation to extend our provision to Year 9. We had a large number of parents with children at primary school asking why they had to send their child to a different school for two years.
As a result, we are one of just a handful of UTCs across the country to be in a position to consult with our community about extending our offer further so that we can welcome Year 7s to our UTC.
The move mirrors the changes being made by a number of successful UTCs across the country, who are all adapting their admissions arrangements to reflect changes in how qualifications are delivered and assessed.
The rationale for Engineering UTC North Lincolnshire accepting young people earlier is:
- The Department of Education (DfE) has written to all UTCs asking them to consider changing their age range to 11-19 and moving to a Year 7 intake instead of their usual Year 9/10 intake as a way of benefiting the educational provision in their local area and better delivering their vision
- Such a move will enable our students to start to master our area of specialism earlier. Engineering is a challenging subject, and increasing exposure to the principles of the subject from Year 7 will allow our students to build a solid understanding of this subject before formally starting the course
- It is clear that there is a demand for places for Year 7 onwards from our community
- North Lincolnshire is projected to have a significant deficit of available Secondary School places. We want to play our part in meeting this need
- The change of status to 11-18 can be accommodated with some re-designation of existing spaces, and no new build
We would, therefore, welcome your views on the following:
- Changing the age range of the UTC from 13-19 to 11-19
- Introducing a Year 7 intake of 90 pupils from 2020/21
- Removing the Year 9 admissions criteria from our admissions policy from 2022/23
We would welcome the thoughts of people from across our community, which is why we have created a booklet outlining in greater detail about why we are making this change and what it would mean.
To read the booklet, please follow the link below.
Interested parties are then asked to complete the online questionnaire to provide their feedback on the proposals. You can access the questionnaire by following the link below. Paper versions are also available at the ENL UTC reception.
This is a very exciting development for the UTC, and one that will help us to better respond to our students and our community.
We look forward to hearing your feedback.